Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Wednesday 28 April 2010
 
Shhh! Can you hear that? It's the sound of silence. It's the sound of me not running.

It started off reasonably. Even though I have myself Wednesday off last week for soreness, I was still sore on Thursday so gave myself Friday too. Which turned into Saturday, Sunday and public holiday Monday. Unable to sleep until 1am on Monday night, I happily ditched the 6am planned start, only to realise in the morning that I had a meeting on the evening and a team lunch - so no run Tuesday. 

This morning was tough. I didn't want to go easy, but found I couldn't go hard either. After 13 minutes at 8km/hr, which had been going ok, I got a stitch. I usually run through them, but this one was over my whole upper chest and when I realised I wasn't breathing properly - ragged, not full lungs, painful, gasping - I stopped. I meant to pause, but I stopped. 

I hopped on the elliptical for 15 hard minutes where I pumped up the resistance to try to add some strength to my legs. Then 15 on the tready again - 8km, but with a 1% incline after 7 minutes or so. A trainer stopped to talk to me. No talk! Run only! Gasp! Gasp! Dad came to say goodbye. Gasp! Gasp! 

The last few minutes were hugely tough. My HR was in the 195bpm range and I was counting time. When I stopped I could barely stand up, and then ... I was sure the Spew Express was coming. I made it to the toilets asap, and although nothing upchucked, I was satisfied that I'd worked hard. 

Back to a simple run tomorrow. No stats because the HRM was fairly sure my heart wasn't beating again.

No comments:

Post a Comment