Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wednesday 8 April 2009

I'd love to pretend that I was over-training, but I won't embarass myself with such a porkie. I did complete a mega-workout last night (which my brand new Polar F7 tells me was worth 795 calories) and go to bed late, rising again at 6am so I could get a lift with my dad to the gym this morning so perhaps my recovery time wasn't great, but overtraining it ain't.

I did 10 at 8 last night to warm up and felt easy, positive and on good pace. This morning I felt a little less enthused but quite prepared to make it, until I started feeling the impact on my sore right hip. The pain there is present all day, and I feel it sharply when my right heel hits the ground and I roll forward to the ball of my foot. It's a strange kind of feeling - not just muscle soreness like how a good Pump class will make you unable to sit down without a gentle assisted lowering into a chair for a few days, or neuro like the tingling sciatica I get - but a pain that's hot, round, bruise-like and quite deep.

I felt it jarring hard within the first couple of minutes today, so I hopped off to do a few stretches focusing on elongating the hip to the side. This made some improvement for 30 seconds or so, but it came back unabated a couple of minutes later, and combined with my growing annoyance and unwillingness to perform yet another grumpy run, it made me stop altogether.

I was disappointed and things became even more farcical when the tready told me to slow down as I walked at 7, and then proceeded to trap my iPod under its belt when it dropped on the floor. I could really only roll my eyes and pound out some steep inclines with my heart rate high, noting that the hip pain wasn't there when I walked, even at 6 with an incline of 8.5%.

So it was a nearly-grumpy session today; I'm keen to run again soon but I would like to do some desktop research about this hip pain - I'm happy to live with some soreness and injury, but not one that stops me running and has me getting out of bed doubled up in the mornings. That kind of injury territory is reserved for serious runners, not dilettante joggers!

Fascinatingly (for me), my heart rate when running at 8 is about 176bpm after ten minutes, which is the same or even less than when I perform the hideous weight movements that David makes me do with painful regularity. I'm barely working at all in the150s; working very comfortably in the 160s; a bit out of breath and working moderately but sustainably hard in the 170s; and working very hard in the 180s (190s? I'd better be furiously angry to pump that out). This discovery really just encouraged me to start thinking of running as an activity I can just do - perhaps it's boring or I'm tired - but I can still physically do it without flogging myself. Like walking or the elliptical, the more I run the more the movement will become natural and I'll be able to focus on overcoming boredom or fatigue or having interesting daydreams rather than constantly being aware of the movement as an unusual thing for my body to be doing.

I'll aim for another 20 at 8 on Friday or Saturday.

PS: I am now completely and utterly obsessed with the Polar. Yesterday while on the couch and being very very lazy my hr was between 44 and 51 - pretty low, although this is primarily due to genetics rather than a Phar Lap heart (anything below 60 is technically bradycaridia. When less fit and my hr would go below 56, I'd start getting dizzy and light-headed - so I'm definitely in better cardio shape than then!). At work today it's happily 55 - 70, although I'm a bit concerned that if it's at 50 when I stand up it shoots to 100ish, and then drops to 70-80. Is a doubling of hr normal when standing up?

No comments:

Post a Comment