Saturday, April 4, 2009

Saturday 4 April 2009

What a difference. After Tuesday's grumpy, struggling run and Retch-a-Riffic Thursday, I approached today's attempt at 20 at 8 with a more positive attitude but with expectations of pain and strife. But not! I found the run relatively comfortable - good pace, wasn't obsessing about time, could probably have gone to 25 if not for my "finish early feeling good" encouragment strategy - and had no stitch or pain at all, which I just realised ten minutes ago with a sense of incredulity.

Afterwards I managed 30 minutes on the elliptical and 10 or so walking, so I was far from exhausted. I'm really pleased with how I felt during and after the run - relaxed, working hard but comfortable, ready for a bit more - and now can't wait to push on to 30 at 8: I see it now, whereas on Tuesday I saw months of miniscule improvement accompanied by mega-crankiness and bitch'n'moaning.

Since moving to 8 from 7, the muscle strain in the back of my hips, where the muscles were straining as I waddled side to side, has disappeared. I still have the neural (perhaps?) pain over my right iliac crest which makes me limp sometimes, but I really think that's something I'm just going to have to work through and treat as necessary.

The aim for the coming week is to do one more 20 at 8, or 25 if I feel good, and to then move to a 25 at 8 which I'll try to run at least once. I have two personal training sessions this week as David was away last week, so I'll probably have fewer free sessions to run in. A run during the week and one next Saturday will do it, and I'm expecting my HRM (a Polar F7) to arrive on Monday so expect some serious nerdy boring stats to be forthcoming!

No comments:

Post a Comment