Monday, April 13, 2009

Monday 13 April 2009

Although I hate sounding like a whinger, the fact is that I am one. Perhaps with some justification, but I am.

Today I had every intention of running at the gym, and went for a walk with Buzz and Sam the puppy first. My hip was feeling sore, and at some stage I noticed that I was also getting sciatica pain. It's like having a nerve twisting and turning deep within the hip, with shoots and tingles down the thigh and sometimes to the lower leg too. Sometimes I also get a familiar pain in my lower back, but today it was all about the hip.

I ran around a footy oval once to see how it went (and let me just say that I now know beyond shadow of doubt that all my running goals are focused on a steady pace and minutes for a reason - I do not [yet] enjoy running outside where I have no speed control and especially no iPod: horror!), and it didn't go well. I felt uncomfortable and crampy, and it only got worse as we walked home. The last couple of hours have been worse, with me wriggling and stretching and whinging at the irritation in my hip and the tingling in my leg.

Although I'm sure that I would have felt fine once I'd run, I'm also sure that I would have felt a fair bit worse tomorrow. I haven't had discomfort from sciatica like this for a while, so I'm going to let it ride and see how I recover. I had a pretty heavy legs session with David yesterday (lunges are not my exercise. Just not, and my glutes will confirm this if you ask them) so I'll give in to my whinging and let them rest today. I think I should see a physio - between the hip pain, which hurts when I lie on it in bed, and the sciatica, and the damaged piriformis, I'm not prepared to let this become a regular reason not to exercise.

So I'm whinging.

No comments:

Post a Comment