Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wednesday 27 April 2011

I thought a short, sharp run might be in order this morning. Instead I got a short, sharp pain the back of my calf. Relax, relax, it’s not career-threatening.

 

Having been focussing heavily on time on my feet and endurance lately, I think that I’ve extended my distance and time significantly more than my speed. By way of comparison, whereas last time I was running 40/45 minutes was an outside time, it’s now the norm. Also, I now think 5km is a short-ish run instead the pinnacle of my achievements. However, whereas I used to run at a base pace of 7.5km/hr, moving up to 8km/hr, I now consider 8.5km/hr my base speed. Not such an improvement.

 

So I trotted off at 9km/hr for five minutes, and then increased to 9.5km/hr, intending to just do a 20 minute speed run. I felt great! Flying, pounding it out, and tiring in a positive, of-course-I-can-make-it way. At about 17.5 minutes I felt a weird feeling in my upper left calf, which I tried to run through but couldn’t. I paused, stretched, and continued, only to grimace in a very unattractive way and have to stop. It felt like a twist or a wrench rather than a tear, perhaps like some tendon wriggling into the wrong position. I felt good in the leg otherwise and did about 22ish minutes on the cross-trainer and then elliptical (15 plus 6ish) without any problems. It feels pretty good now (3:30pm) so I’ll give it a rest tomorrow, get stuck into weights tonight and tomorrow, and assume that all will be dandy on Friday.

Later
30 Day Shred. Level 1, Day 1. Use 3kg weights. So hardcore (me I mean). 
It was tough-ish but I could def do it more full throttle. I was just holding back my biceps and shouldery muscles of steel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment