Saturday, March 28, 2009

Saturday 28 March 2009

I pretended I was 'training' today and worked (read: "worked") on speed and technique.

I wanted to see how 8km/hr felt; during my 40 minute run last Wednesday I moved from 7 to 7.5 for only a couple of minutes but felt it more intensely that I would have imagined, so I really wanted to start afresh and get a feel for a faster pace.

8 felt great (oh rhyme! oh fine!). The pace felt manageable and my gait was natural and more run-y that the bizarre waddle-jog I do at 7. I could feel that I'm not quite fit enough for any extended period of time at 8 though, but I felt comfortable that within a few weeks it could be a really good pace for me. I felt like I was really running, not duck-waddling.

I spent 9 minutes at 8 and then thought I'd just have a leedle weedle look-see at 10. The guy next to me was managing at 10 with a funny sort of fast trot so I was sure that a minute for me would be a nice attempt at interval training.

10 hurt me; I looked forward to the end of the 60 seconds and felt my usually-extraordinarily-non-asthmatic-lungs tighten. I stopped at the end of that minute really breathing hard and uncomfortably. In fact, while at about 9 minutes at 8 I was pretty sure I could make it to 20 minutes, with the addition of the 1 at 10 I was only pretty sure that I could make it to hop off the tready.

I spent the rest of the session on the elliptical and walking on the tready, working on moving my toes and hips in and trying to gain some more balance on the elliptical. I would hold my hips into position whilst working, which isolated the legs rather than letting me cheat with my hip-swinging power gains, and encouraged a rotation of the hip socket forward.

I stretched out at the end with the long cylindrical foam tube that when rolled slowly over my glutes is the sweetest pain possible. After using it with David on Thursday night to start breaking up the gluteal fascia that has tightened as a part of my duck-waddling and feeling the bruise-like pain all yesterday, I toughed it out and fully expect to be totally butt-sore tomorrow. Awesome.

A heart rate monitor is on the horizon, and this week I'd like to run for 20 at 8, as well as perhaps a 35/40 at 7.5.




No comments:

Post a Comment